Miles Teller is talented, uncensored and handsome, but not in the traditional way. After big-name movie releases like “Fantastic Four,” “That Awkward Moment,” and the Oscar-winning indie, “Whiplash,” the 28-year-old actor is on a roll. Check out these 10 interesting facts about him that will make watching his movies much more fun!
10. In “Whiplash,” Teller plays a promising jazz drummer who is pushed intensely by his band director to be the next big star. But the drumming factor didn’t intimidate the actor. When he was 15, he taught himself to play after practicing piano and saxophone in school. He even happens to come from a musical family. His dad, Mike, used to play rock tambourine in a band!
9. His biggest fan isn’t some crazed, teenage girl with glossy “Tiger Beat” posters tacked to her wall…it’s his grandma! After introducing her to Twitter, Teller’s grandmother, Leona Flowers (@MupTheQueen), started tweeting, retweeting, and posting adorable pictures of Miles through the years. If you check out her Twitter you’ll find daily inspirational quotes and updates on Miles’ wanderings!
8. When he was in college, Teller was involved in a near-fatal car accident in North Carolina with two of his friends. While traveling from New Jersey to Florida, their car flipped eight times going 80 mph, leaving the actor with multiple facial and body scars. Since then, he has had a lot of expensive, painful laser surgery. But, just like everything else, Teller doesn’t dwell on them too much. In an interview with InStyle Magazine, he commented on the accident saying “…I don’t focus on small, petty things.”
7. One of his biggest turn-ons is one you don’t have to spend any money on! Teller says it’s super attractive when a girl is simply natural, and when they aren’t trying to be cute. But running weird and having funny toes may be deal-breakers too!
6. Not only is he insanely talented, but he’s also extremely intelligent. He graduated from Tisch School of the Arts at New York University in 2009 where he studied method acting. Despite being worth over $2 million, the actor still hasn’t paid off his student loans. We feel ya, Miles.
5. He constantly gets told his celebrity look-a-likes are Elvis and Richard Gere. In an interview with W Magazine, the actor said it is his dream to play Elvis in a movie. But he doesn’t want to do the usual drug-addicted, struggling character portrayal; rather, he’d prefer to play the musician in his early years.
4. The actor scored the part of funny-guy Willard in the 2011 remake of “Footloose,” but it wasn’t the first time Teller had played the role. He first played the character in high school, which he said gave him an advantage going into the part. “I came into it with a strong foundation of what I wanted to do with the character,” said Teller in an interview with moviefone. The biggest different between acting on the stage versus the big screen? The actor was 5’2″ and 115 pounds when he first played it!
3. He plays the World Champion boxer Vinny Pazienza in the indie film, “Bleed for This,” about the true story of the athlete’s comeback after a near fatal car crash that left him doubtful if he’d ever walk again. The actor had to get in impressive shape to play the part, improving his diet and boxing and lifting weights. By the end of his eight-month transformation he had dropped 20 pounds and lost 12% of his body fat!
2. Even Teller has insecurities. He says the most awkward part of his body is his thumbs! He has a disorder called Brachydactyly Type B, or what is more commonly known as “toe-thumbs.” He used to hide his thumbs in photographs when he was younger and now requests to have hand doubles in movies. He told Jimmy Fallon on “The Tonight Show,” that if you see him on the phone in a movie, it’s someone else’s hands!
1. He has been dating his current girlfriend, Keleigh Sperry, for over three years. Sperry is an aspiring model who posts adorable pictures of the couple and their adventures on her Instagram. For Halloween this year, Teller dressed up as a rabbit with Sperry as his carrot. The two stopped by the Just Jared Halloween Party at No Vacancy bar in Los Angeles.