Most people recognize Lucy Hale from ABC Family’s most popular show, Pretty Little Liars, on which she plays the artsy, quirky Aria. But the 26-year-old Tennessee native has a lot more to offer than just lies. Check out these 10 fun facts about one of TV’s most loved stars.
10. Hale has kind of been lying to all of us about her real name! Her birth name is Karen Lucille Hale, but has answered to Lucy her entire life. In an interview with Ellen DeGeneres, Hale admitted, “You caught me in my first lie, guys. But, now you’re in on it.” She also has a variety of fun nicknames including Luc, Lucy Ho, Goose and Boots!
9. Although the 26 year old has incredible acting chops, her first love was actually singing. She grew up in Tennessee listening to country music and is a self-proclaimed “country girl at heart.” In 2003, she and four other members won American Juniors, a spin-off of American Idol for teenagers. The 5 young artists joined together to form a quintet that eventually disbanded after 2 years. The singer fulfilled her lifelong dream of performing at the Grand Ole Opry in 2014. In an interview with Taste of Country, Hale stated “I can’t even describe the feeling. It’s just … no words. Literally, no words.”
8. Pretty Little Liars finally revealed who ‘A’ was after 5 seasons. But before that, writers and producers refused to let Lucy in on the secret. All of her fellow co-stars and crew knew the mysterious identity, but everyone knew that Lucy would reveal the secret if she was ever told, mostly because she is notorious for her inability to keep a secret. She even went to such lengths as eavesdropping and bribing the producers, but to no avail.
7. Acting for Hale actually came at the suggestion of a family friend. Hale moved out to Los Angeles with her mother at a young age intent on making it big as a singer. When she realized acting could help her in her music career, she began auditioning for small roles. Her first audition was for a role on Disney’s Hannah Montana! Fans may also have seen her as Robin Scherbatsky’s little sister, Katie, on How I Met Your Mother or as Rose on Priveleged. She has also said that because of her success as an actress, she has been able to further pursue her music career.
6. Hale released her debut album, Road Between, in June 2014, and it was a huge success! The album sold 18,000 copies in it’s first week and went on to peak at No. 14 on the Billboard 200 chart and at No. 4 on the Top Country Albums chart. Her favorite song is “Nervous Girls,” because she thinks is has a strong message for young teenagers. Plus, little known fact: her single “Lie a Little Better,” was written about one of her co-stars that she had a major crush on! In an interview with MTV, Hale said about her crush: “I was fumbling over my words, I was stuttering, I couldn’t focus, I couldn’t look him in the eye. I was just crushing so hard on him.” Wonder who it was…
5. Hale’s character Aria is known for her unique sense of style. But Aria and Lucy’s styles couldn’t be more different! While Aria opts for bold, in-your-face pieces, Lucy is more subtle and classic in what she wears. In the recent Pretty Little Liars: 5 Years Forward, each character received a fashion transformation to complement how their personalities changed when the show picked back up. Similarly, Hale’s style has transformed as well over the past 10 years since she’s been in Hollywood. You’ll rarely see the star in something not totally gorgeous and classy!
4. In a September, 2012 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine, Hale revealed her personal struggle with eating disorders. She stated that sometimes she would go days without eating and spend hours at the gym. She added,” I knew I had a problem…It was a gradual process but I changed myself.” When her co-star Troian Bellisario, who plays Spencer on PLL, told Seventeen Magazine about her own eating disorder, Hale supported her and offered her words of encouragement and praise about revealing her struggle.
3. The 26-year-old cutie has been dating Anthony Kalabretta since June of this year. Hale isn’t afraid to post adorable pictures of her and her beau on Instagram, describing him as “[her] love” and posting pics of them lip-locked! Kalabretta is an aspiring musician, a quality that Hale is oh-so attracted to. The two met through mutual friends and bonded quickly over their love of music. Many have commented that Kalabretta would also be a good match for Hale’s on-screen persona, Aria, as well!
2. The PLL star is a huge nerd when it comes to the supernatural and paranormal activity! She admittedly believes in ghosts, and is a huge fan of scary movies like The Shining, Paranormal Activity, and The Exorcist. When she appeared on Late Night with Seth Meyers, she revealed that her and her step-siblings may have discovered that their parents’ house was haunted! Apparently, her step-sister snapped a photo of what appeared to be the shadow of a very large man and his dog, but never saw anyone before or after the photo was taken. There is still no explanation, but Hale is still holding out hope!
1. Although she loves playing Aria on PLL and plans on continuing her role for as long as fans want, she has also ventured out to try new acting gigs. She auditioned for the role of Anastasia Steele in the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy, but was ultimately happy she didn’t get the part because of how uncomfortable she was reading some of the lines! She also auditioned to be both Alice Cullen and Jane in the Twilight movies. However, she didn’t have to work very hard for her role as Aria, as producers knew they wanted her from the start!