Vance Joy first hit the headlines about a year ago with his catchy pop-folk song Riptide, and his name is still bouncing around, mainly because Taylor Swift invited him along her 1989 World Tour earlier this year. Vance recently announced that he’ll be making his own headlining tour next year. Here are some tidbits to learn about Vance while we await his tour destinations.
1. He’s Australian– Vance grew up in Melbourne.
2. He originally set out to be a lawyer. After getting a law degree at Monash University, Vance decided he wanted to be a singer/songwriter.
3. Vance tested out his song Riptide on Facebook about a year before it was released. He uploaded a video of himself playing the song, and the feedback from his Facebook friends pushed him to pursue music.
4. Vance’s real name is James Keough. He pulled the name Vance Joy from a book.
5. He grew up playing the guitar and listening to Metallica.
6. He got his start performing at Melbourne open mic nights.
7. Vance cites Bob Dylan and George Harrison as major influences.
8. For inspiration, Vance likes to read books, play frisbee, go dancing, and go out for breakfast.
9. He can spell his name in sign language.
10. His tour is scheduled to hit the States in February.