Ellie Goulding has provided us with some of the year’s most electrifying tracks, including “On My Mind,” and “Love Me Like You Do.” With such a unique voice that blends pop, electro and folk influences, Goulding has positioned herself as one of the top names in the music business. On her most recent album, Delirium, she collaborates with music legends Max Martin and Greg Kurstin to create awesome songs that TV and movies can’t get enough of. Before buying a ticket to her North American tour, check out these 10 fun facts about the music sensation.
10. Goulding lived out every girl’s dream by getting to attend William and Kate’s royal wedding in 2011. After seeing her perform at one of Radio 1’s Big Weekend events, Prince Henry of Wales (aka “Harry”) met her and told his family about her amazing singing chops. She performed pro bono, singing Elton John’s classic “Your Song.” Surprisingly, Goulding missed the first phone call and didn’t receive the invitation until months later! Afterwards, tons of stars and big names began asking her to perform at their own events. The biggest name? President Barack Obama. The singer performed “Have Yourself a Very Merry Christmas,” for the Obamas, their family and guests at a Christmas function later that year!
9. One of the songs on her recent album titled “Two Years Ago,” was written with her longtime boyfriend, singer Dougie Poynter, in mind. The lyrics revolve around the time before she met the McFly singer, when she was merely interested in him. She said they were friends for a long time before they started dating, and although she is generally a pretty private person, she shows her love for Poynter through her lyrics. She also enjoys writing other songs about him, and said in an interview with Refinery 29 that it’s “so easy to write about because there’s so many interesting things about him.” Interestingly, Goulding admits to initially wanting to set Poynter up with one of her good friends, but after meeting him she decided that she had to have him for herself!
8. On November 6, Goulding released her third album, one that she describes as “pop-y and it’s got a summer feeling, but it’s more of an end-of-summer feeling. It’s kind of heartbreaking at times, but it’s also uplifting.” Before this, Goulding had amassed nearly $3 million in sales between her other two albums. Delirium, unlike Lights and Halcyon, has more collaborations and electro-pop influences. Goulding said she always knew this was the direction she wanted her music to go in, but lacked the resources to do so until recently. She describes this album as more “ambitious,” than her other two.
7. The pop star was born in Hereford of Herefordshire, England and was the second of four children. Her dad left the family when she was five years old, and his absence had a great effect on Goulding and her musical career. She used to write diaries of her experiences and translated her entries into song lyrics. She describes songwriting as her “therapy.” Her father was a guitarist, like Ellie, and the star is certain some of his musical talents translated to her. He also came from a family of morticians, and Goulding has said that many of her songs have been influenced by death in one way or another. She hasn’t seen him since she was 19, and admits to having trust issues with many of the men in her life.
6. The “Love Me Like You Do,” star’s favorite song from any movie is “Kissing You,” by Des’ree, featured in the 1996 adaptation of Romeo & Juliet starring Leonardo DiCaprio. She said that once she heard it, she was hooked, and immediately bought the movie soundtrack. She even mentioned that she is fascinated by the movie’s director, Baz Luhrmann, and would love to do a project with him one day. A bit surprising is her favorite movie. The star admits to loving Mel Gibson’s Braveheart, and became obsessed with Scottish independence and history after watching the film. Hopefully Goulding makes it to the big screen one day!
5. Goulding won the Critics’ Choice Award in 2010 at The Brit Awards, England’s equivalent to the Grammy’s. Other stars who share the same award include Sam Smith, Adele, Florence + the Machine and, most recently, James Bay. Four years later the artist won Best Female Solo Artist after tracks like “Burn,” and “I Need Your Love,” performed well on the charts. It was recently announced that “Love Me Like You Do,” from Delirium had been nominated for two Grammy’s: Best Solo Pop Performance and Best Compliation Soundtrack for Visual Media. In the category for Best Solo Pop Performance, Goulding will be competing against big names like Kelly Clarkson, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and The Weeknd. Talk about stacked!
4. The star decided to become vegan last year as part of a lifestyle change and cut out all meat and dairy from her diet. She attributes her womanly shape to eating amazingly well, even claiming that her face shape and eyes have improved because of the change. As part of her daily eating plan, the star loves making plant-based smoothies and cooking sweet potato fries. Surprisingly enough, Pringles are also one of Goulding’s favorite foods and completely vegan! The hardest part about the strict dietary regime? Being drunk. The star says she struggles every time she drinks alcohol because it always makes her want to eat unhealthy things. Despite having body issues in the past, the star feels much more confident in her body now-a-days.
3. Prior to releasing Burn and Delirium and in the midst of huge superstardom, Goulding admits to going down a “dark path,” when she realized everything was getting to be a bit too much. She had a number one song in the U.K., a huge deal for a female artist like herself, and was under intense pressure and commitment. She started drinking and being reckless, going so far as to describe herself as a complete “mess.” Luckily, she was able to pull herself out of her funk with the help of her supportive boyfriend Dougie Poynter who she’s been dating now for over two years.
2. One of Ellie’s favorite hobbies is exercising, especially running and yoga. She often posts on Instagram photos of her working out or preparing for a six-mile jog. She says she has always been pretty fit, but recently wanted to tone her body to give herself more shape. Besides running, Goulding likes to box and do intense athletic training with a personal trainer. She describes running as her “escape,” and believes that life would be too much to take if she wasn’t able to run anymore. Her love of running paid off when she became the face of Nike Women’s Race Series, a project that covers women’s races across the world.
1. Not only does Nike love her, but so does MAC Cosmetics. The MAC Ellie Goulding makeup collection hits stores this month. The collection will include a light pink lipstick, gloss, a rose crayon lip stain and lots of sexy, neutral shades for eyes and cheeks. Goulding has long been known for her sexy makeup style, rarely ever seeing her without a shimmering lip gloss and bombshell lashes. The products are sure to sell out immediately, and just in time for the holidays too!