If you grew up during the 90’s, middle school dating entailed a specific and awkward protocol. Let’s all rejoice that those days are over. Here are 10 middle school dating routines you’ll probably never miss:
1. Having to strategically rig the Truth or Dare game with your best friend so that you ended up playing Seven Minutes in Heaven with your crush.
2. Slow dancing at the Christmas dance in the cafeteria, with your arms arrow-straight and your bodies a foot apart.
3. Agonizing over romantic song lyrics posted on someone’s Myspace or Facebook profile and wondering if just maybe they’re directed towards you.
4. Conversations like this:
Friend you don’t like: hey
Friend: what’s up
You: nm you
Friend: nm either
Friend: so who do u like
5. Making great use of the grapevine and making your BFF ask someone if they liked you.
6. Having to call your crush on a landline and talking to their parents before you could get them on the phone.
7. Awkward locker interactions between class periods while your friends look on and smile.
8. Having a two-hour long conversation on AIM on a weeknight and then going to school the next day and pretending you don’t know each other.
9. It’s not official until you’re wearing his sweatshirt or football jersey.
10. Passing notes in class until the teacher intercepts it and makes you read it aloud in front of the class.