Kerry Washington made her screen debut more than 20 years ago in a PBS sketch-comedy series, but you probably know her from the political drama Scandal, in which she plays the powerful and compelling Olivia Pope. Here are 11 fun facts about Kerry Washington:
1. She was named after Ireland’s county Kerry.
2. Growing up, she wanted to be a whale trainer at SeaWorld.
3. Kerry graduated at the top of her class at George Washington University, with a degree in Performance Studies.
4. Right after college, she studied yoga and traditional Indian theater in India.
5. She is a part of V-Day, which is an organization dedicated to stopping violence against girls and women.
6. Kerry has testified before Congress in support of the arts, along with Robert Redford and John Legend.
7. She directed the music video for the song “I Want You” by Common.
8. She was People magazine’s choice for “Best Dressed Woman” in 2013.
9. As Olivia Pope in Scandal, Kerry was the first black lead actress on a network drama in 40 years.
10. Kerry is married to NFL player Nnamdi Asomugha.
11. On her birthday, Kerry gives her parents gifts.