Beginning with her collaboration with Clean Bandit on “Rather Be,” Jess Glynne has been dominating the music charts. The British songstress’ debut album I Cry When I Laugh, features soulful pop hits like “Real Love,” and “Hold My Hand,” that offer a great pick-me-up for those in need. Check out these 8 facts about the singer before you start playing her album on repeat.
8. Glynne may only be 26 years old, but she’s already won her first Grammy! Her collaboration with Clean Bandit on the worldwide hit “Rather Be,” won Best Dance Recording and was nominated for British Single of the Year and Top Dance/Electronic Song. This award came before her first album even debuted! Her collaborations with Route 94 on “My Love,” and with Tinie Tempah on “Not Letting Go,” have both debuted at #1 as well!
7. Earlier this year, the singer had to cancel her appearance at multiple music festivals for an emergency vocal surgery. Glynne had developed polyps on her vocal chords, a common ailment among singers. She couldn’t speak for three weeks and had to use her phone and a white board to communicate.
6. Glynne has an insane sense of style! She enjoys wearing clothes that are fun, quirky and unique. One of her biggest style icons is M.I.A., and often wears bomber jackets while on stage. She buys many of her outfits online, but she also frequents Tom Ford and Stella McCartney. Although her style is quite unique, the singer said in an interview with Teen Vogue, “I like everything I wear to be in sync.”
5. While writing her first album, the singer was going through a major breakup, but was still dedicated to making her songs about hope. Although she had dated men before, this was her first relationship with a woman, and she was very much in love with her. Despite being super open about her sexuality, she doesn’t feel the need to define her sexual orientation. The singer told AMP 92.3, “I just don’t think it’s a necessity to sit there a put a label on yourself.”
4. The pop star’s track ‘Hold My Hand,’ was featured in Coca-Cola’s ‘Family Gatherings’ commercial this past year. The ad shows multiple scenes of family get-togethers with BBQ’s, movie nights and outdoor parties. But wait…wasn’t her #1 hit “Rather Be,” also featured in another one of the soda’s commercials? The Grammy-winning track was used in the “Summer Song,” campaign in 2014 as well!
3. Glynne had a variety of jobs before she hit it big. Her parents always told her ‘You need to work. You can’t just live off music.’ So before becoming a huge pop star, she was employed as a hairdresser, a retail salesperson, and worked at a fitness center. She said she worked until she knew when she’d be “financially stable.” She also completed a music course at East London College where she eventually met some of her future collaborators.
2. When she was 15 years old, the songstress applied to be a contestant on The X Factor, but ended up turning down an opportunity to appear on the show. She said in an interview with The Independent that it “wasn’t really her thing,” and that it was a “great thing to walk away from.” Regardless, she tied with Cheryl Frenandez-Versini for most #1’s from a British female singer in August.
1. This past summer, Glynne teamed up with Glacéau and the fitness studio 1Rebel to promote the limited edition: Smartrebel. As part of the partnership, they all produced a workout for Londoners to promote healthy lifestyles. The endorsement is a good fit, as Glynne prefers water over any other kind of drink. She said in an interview, “I would choose water over an alcoholic drink. Drinking for me affects my voice so much.”