After winning the title of the National Basketball Association’s Most Valuable Player for 2015, Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen “Steph” Curry has essentially become a household name for basketball fans across the country. You may know him pretty well on the court, but get to know a little bit about him off the court with these 8 fun facts about Stephen Curry:
1) Basketball runs in the Curry family, as brother Seth and father Dell were both notable players.
Steph’s father is Dell Curry, who played in the NBA from 1986-2002 and retired as the all-time point leader for the Charlotte Hornets. Steph’s brother is Seth Curry, who played for the Duke basketball team and currently plays for the Sacramento Kings as a point guard and shooting guard.
2) Curry won gold medals in the 2010 and 2014 FIBA World Championship as part of the U.S. men’s national basketball team.
Curry also earned a silver medal in 2007 as part of the Under-19 USA team.
3) Curry is a devout Christian and even has a tattoo of the verse First Corinthians 13:8 on his wrist.
During his MVP speech, Curry discussed his faith by saying, “People should know who I represent and why I am who I am, and that’s because of my Lord and Savior.”
4) Steph Curry is married to Ayesha Alexander, and the pair currently reside in Orinda, California.
The couple has two young daughters, Riley and Ryan, who have already had some time in the spotlight (i.e. see video above).
5) Out of his many achievements, his most notable might be the fact that many consider him to be the greatest shooter in NBA history.
Basketball executive Kiki Vandeweghe once said about Curry that, “comparing year to year, people at their peak, I’ve never seen anyone better. The difficulty of some of the shots he makes is incredible. He makes shots I wouldn’t even think of taking, and I took a lot of shots. He has a certain body and court awareness. He always knows where the basket is.”
6) Though he is most known as “Stephen” or “Steph,” Curry’s real first name is actually “Wardell.”
Not surprisingly, Curry is named “Wardell” after his father. Both Dell and Steph wore the number 30 on their jerseys.
7) Steph’s career has taken him all around the world, but one of his best memories was playing golf with President Barack Obama.
The unlikely pair spent five hours playing golf together during Obama’s vacation to Martha’s Vineyard. Curry later spoke about the experience in an interview, saying “never in a million years did I think I’d join the president on his vacation in Martha’s Vineyard and spend five hours with him playing golf. It was a pretty amazing experience and one I’ll never forget. I got to take my dad with me, [and] my whole family got to come at the end of the round and meet him.”
8) After Basketball and Golf, Curry’s third-best sport is actually bowling.
In an interview discussing various sports, Curry said, “I used to play baseball growing up. If I joined a softball league or something I could probably hold my own, but I can do a little damage on the lanes.”