Last week, Old Dominion released their debut album Meat and Candy, but if you haven’t gotten a chance to listen to it yet, maybe you’ve been too busy singing along to their number #1 single, Break Up With Him. Here are a 10 fun facts about the emerging country stars:
- Their band name, “Old Dominion” is a nickname for the state of Virginia, which is where four of the five band members grew up.
- They are surprised at the sudden fame. A few years ago, their motto was “It’s never going to work anyway”, so they abandoned the traditional Nashville country sound and developed one of their own, which is more contemporary country music.
- The band members have written songs for many top country artists, such as Chris Young’s “Neon”, The Band Perry’s “Better Dig Two”, and Tyler Farr’s “A Guy Walks Into A Bar”. They have also written songs for ABC’s musical drama Nashville.
- The first song they all collaborated on, Break Up With Him, quickly reached the #1 spot on Sirius XM’s country station. They band says that it’s fun to see how the song affects their fans; they have had listeners tell them they attribute the song to their relationship working.
- Before signing with RCA Nashville, Old Dominion performed concerts at private residences for cash.
- They spent last summer playing shows with Kenny Chesney.
- One of the band members, Brad Tursi, used to be in the rock band “Army of Me”.
- The title of their first album, Meat and Candy, came about when the band was sitting around trying to figure out what sort of songs would make it onto the album. They concluded that they wanted some “candy” songs, and some “meat” songs.
- Old Dominion is on tour now and through the majority of next year, along with Kenny Chesney. Check out the tour dates and destinations here.